Saturday 28 August 2021

Let's raise a glass ta' Ol Bevies

Let’s raise a glass for Ol’ Bevie: By Ray Scott Back in 1983, 2nd year with Mrs. Brown, Most’ us rascals new each other from the year before A couple new kids came around Tryin’ so hard to fit in As I now reflect, I’m wonderin’ what’s become of all of them Swimming parties both those years, grapes grew greener on the vine Open field n’ flowing streams, Lincoln County country house The Browns, ya’ they all threw a Vineland shindig of a time; Makin’ memories, withstanding Lakebreeze wreckin’ ball and plough And me, I was an awful-fearful kid, became the fool at school My daddy left that year and I was angry then I guess So I looked to the new face and instead of making friends I bullied and humiliated them, to fill my emptiness Last was James I’d boast and brag, despite his big, brave smile When pickin’ teams at recess or bringin’ snacks on party day He was just a happy kid, smilin’ n’ singin’ live and let live Still Mrs. Brown was the only one tasting Bevan’s parents’ pâté’ Let’s raise our glasses to Ol’ Bevie! Shy Nick was a big boy; he came midway through the year It seemed before we knew it, NRP came on a school day with his mom to take him ‘way He moved in on my street, he lived there with his dad All I can remember’s he was gone so fast and all of Mrs. Browns’ tears Let’s have a drink for Big ol’ Nicky! And where have they all gone, they’ve grown and most moved on Some of us, abandoned still, some regret and gray hair If I could turn the clock, a mere 36 odd years, I’d undo all my wrongs and welcome friends to join me safely while I buy this round a’ beers Let’s raise our glasses for Ol’ Bevie! Tears of joy and tears of fondness Bro hugs all around and laughin’ Reminiscing how the Lakebreeze "Breezettes" proudly used to sing Put up yer’ pints for Ol’ Bevan Let’s raise a glass ta’ Good ol’ Nice Nick and sweet, smilin’ Bevie

No comments:

Post a Comment